Farringdon Independent Church was founded in 1833. Many of the first members had immigrated to Canada from northern England and were members of Inghamite Chapels, so named after founder Benjamin Ingham who was ordained into The Church of England in 1735 and commenced his ministry in the City of London, in the parish of Farringdon.
The first church building, a simple clapboard structure, was erected in 1839 on land donated by Mr. Richard Brooks. He was given the opportunity of naming the church, which he called Farringdon after his native town in Berkshire, England, and also after Ingham’s first parish.
Farringdon Church continued to grow and a new brick building was erected in 1855. The present church building was erected in 1948 with an expanded narthex added in 2009. The Christian Education Wing and church offices were added in 1966. Stedman House, originally used as a clergy residence, was donated by Mr. Samuel Stedman in 1952 as a memorial to his dear wife, Jessie Cockshutt Kippax.